-A A +A

Getting care and support locally

Getting care and support locally

As a carer you are the first point of call providing care and support to your cared for, to help you in your caring role you may require  additional information and support which is available from a wide range of voluntary, public and private providers in Havering. 

Please click on the links below to find out more information about care and support locally. 

More about getting care and support locally

If you are caring for someone for example your mum they may need help to maintain their home, or help with everyday activities such as washing or dressing, there are lots of options available to support your cared for to stay safely in their own home. Find out more by visiting Havering Council website HERE Or NHS to find out about the nearest Homecare Services HERE

Havering Council works with adults and communities to support people with social care needs to be as active, healthy and independent as possible. The Council's first aim is to assist people who, due to their severity of need and their financial circumstances, are most in need of council funded support. They also help sign post others to access the wide range of support available in the community.

Havering Council take a prevention approach; this means that they will do all they can to:

  • Prevent the need for care and support for people who do not currently have needs
  • Reduce the need for support for people with an increased risk of developing needs
  • Delay the need for more support to people with established or complex needs

They will carry out an assessment of your cared for's social care needs in order to see if they need support.  For family carers this will be a Carers Assessment.

What is care and support?

Care and support is the help some adults need to live as well as possible with an illness or disability. It can include help with things like:

  • Washing
  • Dressing
  • Eating
  • Getting out and about
  • Keeping in touch with friends or family

It is not health care but it can work in a joined up way so that your cared for can have co-ordinated health and social care. Some people will be eligible for funded care and support from the council, and others will pay for support themselves.

Helping you to keep caring

If you provide or intend to provide care for another adult and you have needs that you would like to discuss, you can request a carer’s assessment. You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the Council and they will not need to be assessed. The assessment is your opportunity to talk about your own needs and things that could make caring easier for you. A carer’s assessment can look at the different ways that caring affects your life and explore how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of the assessment. A trained assessment worker can discuss with you what else matters to you in your life, your caring role, and how this might be having an impact. They can support you to develop your own individual care and support plan to help you going forward. A carer’s assessment can be completed either jointly with the person that you care for or you can have an assessment separately. The assessment is usually completed with a trained assessment worker face-to-face. However an assessmentcan be completed on the telephone if this is your preference, or through a supported self-assessment on the website www.haveringcarepoint.org

Carers’ assessments

A carers assessment looks at the different ways caring affects your life. It works out how you can carry on being a carer but still do the things that are important to you and your family.

It covers:

  • Your caring role
  • Your feelings about care
  • Your physical, mental and emotional health
  • How caring affects your work, leisure, education, wider family and relationships

How to get an assessment

The assessment could be done:   online at www.havering.gov.uk    Or book an assessment via telephone or face to face by calling 01708 432000


Before the assessment

If you have arranged to have a carer's assessment, give yourself plenty of time to think about your role as a carer and note your thoughts down.

You might consider:

  • Whether you want to continue being a carer
  • What changes would make your life easier
  • If you will not be able to continue as a carer without support
  • Whether you have any physical or mental health problems, including stress or depression, which make your role as a carer more difficult
  • Whether being a carer affects your relationships with other people, including family and friends
  • Whether being a carer causes problems at your work (such as often being late)
  • If you would like more time to yourself so that you can have a rest or enjoy some leisure activity
  • If you would like to do some training, voluntary work or paid work


After the assessment

The assessment will be used to identify your support needs and discuss how these could be met. This might mean that the council will give you help or put you in touch with other organisations, such as local charities, that you can talk to.

After the assessment a decision is made whether your needs are “eligible” for support and /or respite. They will write to you about then decision and give you reasons to explain what has been decided.

It may be that the best way to meet your needs is to provide care and support directly to the person that you care for. This could be providing replacement care to allow you to take a break. It is possible to do this as long as you and the person needing care agrees.

More information and advice about carer breaks and respite can be found on the Carers Trust website


Eligibility and support

There are services that are available for all carers and services that will help meet your needs, outcomes you feel are important to you and how these outcomes help you maintain your own wellbeing. If you are eligible for support, there is a range of ways that organisations including the Council can support you. For example, information and advice through to services that provides carers with respite. Once a carer’s assessment has been completed the assessment worker will advise you of your eligibility, if applicable. You will receive written confirmation of the eligibility judgment and how the decision has been made. If you are eligible for support the assessment worker will work with you to develop your own care and support plan and they can do this in a number of ways, depending on your circumstances and needs. It could be you require additional advice and information; it may be a service review for the person you care for or you may require either a particular provision or direct payment. All care and support will be reviewed annually. However if your circumstances change prior to this you can request a review of your needs.


Emergency Alert Card

What is an Emergency Alert Card

Emergency Alert Cards are for you to carry in your purse, wallet or handbag. They let others know that there is someone who is dependent on you and could be vulnerable if something were to happen to you.

You will be asked to give the contact details of one or two people who can take your place in an emergency. You will need to make sure they are happy to do this and that they know what to do to help the person you care for. The emergency services or other people can contact an emergency telephone number to access help and advice.


Nominated person

On signing up for the alert card you will be invited to give the contact details of one or two people on the application form who would be willing to take your place in an emergency. You will be responsible for ensuring that anyone you nominate is happy to do this and a basic care plan has been designed and kept for your reference. To sign up for an Emergency Alert Card please get in touch with us on:

Tel: 01708 961111 email: info@haveringcarershub.org.uk


Advocacy for carers

What is independent advocacy for carers

The Care Act 2014 places a duty on councils and local Clinical Commissioning Groups to involve you in decisions made about the care and support you will receive, right from first point of contact, no matter how complex your needs may be. This means that the Council will make sure that independent advocacy is available to help you express your wishes and feelings, support you in weighing up your options and assist you in making your own decisions. The role of an independent advocate is: 

• To be available from the first point of contact and subsequent stage of the process 

• To be independent from the Council and the NHS

• To be available if you have no other person to support you in your decision making or to represent your wishes, if needed 

• To be involved in the processes below around the receipt of care and support. 

Advocacy may be used when: 

• Carrying out assessments 

• Undertaking care and/or support planning 

• Carrying out care reviews 

• Undertaking/managing safeguarding enquiries

• Undertaking safeguarding adult reviews.


Staying safe

What is safeguarding?

An ‘adult at risk’ is someone who is 18 years or over who may be in need of community care due to a mental health problem, learning disability, physical disability, age or illness. As a result, they may find it difficult to protect themselves from abuse. 

Types of abuse 

• Physical abuse 

• Sexual abuse 

• Psychological or emotional abuse 

• Financial or material abuse 

• Neglect and acts of omission (including self-neglect) 

• Discriminatory abuse 

• Institutional abuse. 


Reporting abuse

Please report it. If you see, hear or suspect that an adult at risk is being abused call: 

The Safeguarding Adults Team Tel: 01708 433550

Out of office hours tel: 01708 433999

Text phone: 01708 433175

Fax: 01708 432497

Email:safeguarding_adults_team@havering. gov.uk

Contact the Metropolitan Police Non-emergency Tel: 101  Emergency Tel: 999


Safeguarding for children

Havering Council’s Children and Young People’s Service (CYPS) is responsible for the children’s social care statutory functions of the council including child protection, looked after children, youth offending and children in need services. 

It is also responsible for Early Help Services including Children’s Centres, targeted Youth Service and the Havering’s Troubled Families programme. 

Children’s Services Triage, MASH and Assessment Team 

Tel: 01708 432222 


Adult social services intake team: 01708 432000 option 2



Telecare describes a range of technology equipment that may be used to assist people to live as independently as possible at home or to support people in their daily lives and routines. 

The equipment can promote independence, while providing safety and security. Telecare can be useful in many different ways, from simple alerts should someone need emergency assistance, to devices designed to help people with dementia or memory loss carry out daily tasks and routines. Telecare can be particularly useful if someone is at risk of falls or needs extra support and reassurance to remain independent or stay safe within their own home. Telecare can be a short-term solution to help someone return home from hospital or more long-term to help maintain independence. Many of the products can also be used alongside a community alarm service which when activated, automatically generates an alarm call to a control centre so that an emergency response can be raised whatever the time of day. Alarm pendants are a well known Telecare product. The pendant can be worn around the neck during the day or kept close at hand during the night, and can be used to call for help. Simply pressing the button sends an alarm to a control centre where staff can arrange for you to get the help you need immediately. Other equipment includes detectors which can give early warning of natural gas, smoke, extreme heat, flood, a fall, if someone has left the property or managed to get in or out of bed safely. 

Who can get Telecare?

The service is available to anyone over the age of 18 with illness, sight or hearing loss or a physical or learning disability where it will help meet your needs. It is also useful for people in the early stages of dementia, at high risk of falling or having just come out of hospital. It is of particular value to those living alone who wish to remain living independently in their own home. 

How much does it cost?

Telecare equipment is available on a six week trial period free of charge but if you find that you don’t qualify for help from Havering Council, you are able to purchase the same service privately and  costs start at £4.84 per week.

For more information go to: www.haveringcarepoint.org         or phone 01708 456 645     E:telecare@havering.gov.uk                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            


 Care at home

If your cared for is living in their own home and need paid carers they should be in control. You help your cared for arrange and pay for their own care and support; those who pay the full care costs are known as Self Funders. To find out more about paying for  care click HERE

Depending on the support you need and your finances, you may be able to receive help towards the cost of your care.

This may pay for all of your care or some of your care.

A means tested financial assessment will decide how much help you can get towards the cost of care.

If we pay towards your care you can still pay for extra care yourself if you want.

If we help pay for your care this can be done in many ways:

  • we can arrange the care for you and pay for it
  • we can pay you money and you can arrange your own care (direct payments)
  • you can arrange your care and we can pay them (individual service funds)

Or you can purchase care yourself privately without an assessment.

If you think you need care and would like a financial assessment please call 01708 432000.

If we are already helping you with the cost of care and you would like to change how it is paid, or if you think you may need more help please call 01708 432000.

Find out more about Personal Budgets and Local authority funding for care

Where you live

If you and/or your cared for no longer feel able to maintain your current home, you may want to consider other housing options, which offer increased levels of support. There is a wide range of accommodation available locally, some run by the council and others by housing associations, charities and private companies.

Find out more about housing options, residential and nursing homes in Havering

Help with making decisions

If you need help making decisions and dealing with an organisation why not ask a friend or relative. If they are going to deal with an organisation for you, you will need to inform the organisation.

This can be verbally if you are with your friend or relative, otherwise it may need to be in writing. Each organisation may have different requirements so it is best to check with them.

If you don’t want to, or can’t, ask a friend or a family to help you with dealing with organisations you can get help from an advocate. Sometimes people can officially make decisions on your behalf. These are sometimes known as appointees and deputies.

If you need independent advice on paying for care there is information on our paying for care page.

For information on power of attorney visit the gov.uk website

For information on end of life care or advanced decisions visit the NHS website