-A A +A

Living safely at home

The following information could apply to you or your cared for

Living safely at home

Is moving safely around your home getting difficult? Accidents like falls can have serious consequences. Difficulties can be due to illness, sight or hearing loss, a physical or learning disability or just growing older and finding it harder to move around.

Staying safe

What is safeguarding?

An ‘adult at risk’ is someone who is 18 years or over who may be in need of community care due to a mental health problem, learning disability, physical disability, age or illness. As a result, they may find it difficult to protect themselves from abuse.

Types of abuse

• Physical abuse

• Sexual abuse

• Psychological or emotional abuse

• Financial or material abuse

• Neglect and acts of omission (including self-neglect)

• Discriminatory abuse

• Institutional abuse.

Reporting abuse

Please report it. If you see, hear or suspect that an adult at risk is being abused call:

The Safeguarding Adults Team Tel: 01708 433550

Out of office hours tel: 01708 433999

Text phone: 01708 433175

Fax: 01708 432497

Email: safeguarding_adults_team@havering. gov.uk

Contact the Metropolitan Police Non-emergency Tel: 101

Emergency Tel: 999


Safeguarding for children

Havering Council’s Children and Young People’s Service (CYPS) is responsible for the children’s social care statutory functions of the council including child protection, looked after children, youth offending and children in need services.

It is also responsible for Early Help Services including Children’s Centres, targeted Youth Service and the Havering’s Troubled Families programme.

Children’s Services Triage, MASH and Assessment Team  Tel: 01708 432222   TriageMASHandAssessment@havering.gov.uk   Adult social services intake team: 01708 432000 option 2



 What is it?

Telecare describes a range of technology equipment that may be used to assist people to live as independently as possible at home or to support people in their daily lives and routines.

The equipment can promote independence, while providing safety and security. Telecare can be useful in many different ways, from simple alerts should someone need emergency assistance, to devices designed to help people with dementia or memory loss carry out daily tasks and routines. Telecare can be particularly useful if someone is at risk of falls or needs extra support and reassurance to remain independent or stay safe within their own home.Telecare can be a short-term solution to help someone return home from hospital or more long-term to help maintain independence. Many of the products can also be used alongside a community alarm service which when activated, automatically generates an alarm call to a control centre so that an emergency response can be raised whatever the time of day. Alarm pendants are a well known Telecare product. The pendant can be worn around the neck during the day or kept close at hand during the night, and can be used to call for help. Simply pressing the button sends an alarm to a control centre where staff can arrange for you to get the help you need immediately. Other equipment includes detectors which can give early warning of natural gas, smoke, extreme heat, flood, a fall, if someone has left the property or managed to get in or out of bed safely.

Who can get Telecare?

The service is available to anyone over the age of 18 with illness, sight or hearing loss or a physical or learning disability where it will help meet your needs. It is also useful for people in the early stages of dementia, at high risk of falling or having just come out of hospital. It is of particular value to those living alone who wish to remain living independently in their own home.

How much does it cost?

Telecare equipment is available on a six week trial period free of charge but if you find that you don’t qualify for help from Havering Council, you are able to purchase the same service privately and  costs start at £4.84 per week.

For more information go to: www.haveringcarepoint.org   or phone 01708 456 645     E: telecare@havering.gov.uk                     


Equipment and adaptations to help you


Is it safe to let people into my home?

All home care agencies, including home care provided by the Council, are registered by an independent regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC). CQC make sure the service reaches minimum standards and inspects services regularly. They publish their reports.

Visit the CQC's website for more information